A variety of funding mechanisms exist for different career levels and objectives. See Funding Mechanisms for a list of mechanisms particularly suitable to statisticians, including both training grants and research grants. The links below lead to information about Program areas of interest, particular funding opportunities (RFAs) and Program announcements (PAs).
For a full list of all NIH funding opportunities, see the NIH Guide for Grants and Contracts.
Want to be notified of Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs)? The American Statistical Association (ASA) runs an ASA “Community” called “Funding Opportunities,” where members can sign up to receive notification of RFAs, Program Announcements, and other Funding Opportunity Announcements as they are released. The ASA disseminates information from NIH, NSF, and other funding agencies, but is not affiliated with (or endorsed by) the NIH.
- Chart of Parent Announcements (Unsolicited or Investigator-Initiated).
- Parent Announcement for NIH Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings (R13/U13)
- R01 unsolicited grants PA-13-302
- National Cancer Institute
- Cancer Intervention and Surveillance Modeling Network (CISNET) (U01) RFA-CA-14-012
- Research Answers to NCI’s Provocative Questions
- Informatics Technology for Cancer Research (ITCR)
- Bridging the Gap Between Cancer Mechanism and Population Science (U01) PAR-13-081
- NCI/Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences
Institute- or Agency-specific Announcements (Non-NCI)
- Short Courses on Mathematical, Statistical, and Computational Tools for Studying Biological Systems (R25) PA-11-351
- Research Education Grants for Statistical and Computational Training in the Genetics of Addiction (R25) PAR-12-199
- FDA Small Scientific Conference Grant Program (R13) PA-11-310
- Bioengineering Research Grants (R01) PA-13-137, (R21) PA-12-284
- Drug Abuse Prevention Intervention Research (R21) PA-11-312, (R01) PA-11-311, (R03) PA-11-313
- Health Services Research on the Prevention and Treatment of Drug and Alcohol Abuse (R21) PA-12-128, (R03) PA-12-129
- NIDCR Small Research Grants for Oral Health Data Analysis and Statistical Methodology Development (R03) PAR-12-120
- NIDCR Small Research Grants for Data Analysis and Statistical Methodology applied to Genome-wide Data (R03) PAR-13-044
- Alcohol Use Disorders: Treatment, Services Research, and Recovery (R03) PA-13-162
- Predictive Multiscale Models for Biomedical, Biological, Behavioral, Environmental and Clinical Research (Interagency U01) PAR-11-203
- NLM Express Research Grants in Biomedical Informatics (R01) PAR-13-300
- Integrative Omics Data Analysis for Discovery in Lung Diseases (R01) PAR-12-155
- Secondary Analyses in Obesity, Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (R21) PA-12-125
- Infrastructure Development Program in Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR) (R24) PA-12-114
- Secondary Analyses of Existing Data Sets and Stored Biospecimens to Address Clinical Aging Research Questions (R01) PA-13-168
- NEI Research Grant for Secondary Analysis (R21) PAR-13-035
- Improving Diet and Physical Activity Assessment (R21) PAR-12-197
- Research to Advance Vaccine Safety (R21) PA-12-038
- The Effect of Racial and Ethnic Discrimination/Bias on Health Care Delivery (R03) PA-11-164
- New Computational Methods for Understanding the Functional Role of DNA Variants that are Associated with Mental Disorders (Collaborative R01) PAR-13-391, (R01) PAR-13-392